Thursday, October 4, 2007

Junior Surfing Champs, from my bedroom window.





The vantage point that I have from my flat in Summerstrand allows me to have a perfect view of the pipe surfing spot at Pollock beach. From the 26-30th of September I had the privilege of watching the O’Neill Junior surfing championships from my bedroom window. I don’t know much about surfing, but I do know that the waves were generally pretty good and the contestants were eager to showcase their talent.
The turnout for the surfing competition was good, considering that the sun did not shine and it was a bit chilly.
Seen as though this competition took place right outside my window, so to speak, I decided to do some research on it. From some of the research that I did about this surfing competition I found out that the event was first held in 1996 and is the most important contest for junior surfers in South Africa. It not only determines National Champions in the Under 18, Under 16, Under 14 and Under 12 boys and girls age divisions but also determines the winning provincial team each year.
P.E. was privileged enough to host this year’s event, and it proved to be a successful host. The Pollock beach parking lot was packed with cars and combi’s from all over the country and, true to the surfing lifestyle, all of the vehicles were equipped with roof racks.
It was amazing to see such young kids with so much talent. In a society where it is so easy for kids to stay indoors and amuse themselves with video games and pc’s it was great to see that the outdoors is still an option for kids to have fun in.
Surfing is an excellent way to get kids outdoors to enjoy nature, the surf and the sand. Surfing is a great physical activity that teaches kids about the value of our precious ocean and how important it is to respect it.


To find out more about surfing, go to


No comments: